With the weather changing I am prone to switch to a cup of tea or other hot drinks in the evenings. Last year I started looking for a recipe for Golden Turmeric Milk since I had heard of all the benefits of turmeric and also wanted to switch things up a bit.
Turns out this stuff is delicious. It’s creamy golden goodness in a cup. Best of all? It’s so good for you. Let me count the ways. (For more specific info, check out this article.)
- Turmeric’s main compound is curcumin,which is not absorbed very easily into the body. Eating black pepper with your turmeric with significantly enhance absorption.
- Curcumin has extremely powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong anti-oxidant. I am still dealing with some major swelling on the toe where I had surgery in July, so I’m hoping drinking Golden Milk can help. I have so many cute shoes that don’t fit anymore!
- Since turmeric helps fight inflammation, it also helps fight low-level inflammation diseases like heart disease, metabolic syndrome and even cancer.
- I did a little research and found that studies of the compound curcumin have found it to be more effective in the treatment of arthritis then actual anti-inflammatory drugs use to treat the illness. That’s pretty badass!
- Last but not least this wonder-spice can be helpful in treating depression.
But guys… in addition to all this, keep in mind that Golden Milk is so damn good I’d drink it if it were bad for me. I guess I’m trying to say that this stuff is a win-win.
You can whip up a cup in just a few minutes. Here’s how:
1 can coconut milk (I like the light version)
2-3 teaspoons of turmeric
1 teaspoon raw honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 dash of black pepper
1/4 fresh ginger, peeled (I also use ground ginger if I don’t have fresh on hand)
1 pinch of cayenne
Blend everything in a blender really well until completely incorporated and smooth. Add to a small saucepan and heat on low until hot but not boiling. Enjoy!
I can’t wait to bring you guys some awesome posts next week, as I have HUGE weekend plans! Check my Instagram stories if you are curious!